Acne and breakouts have been the vein of my existence for [literally] the last twenty years, I had no idea that when I was a teenager in high school with constant spots on my face that I would still have them well into my early thirties but here we are. In an odd way and on a lighter note if I had one positive thing to say about having breakouts is that it does make you more committed to finding products and ingredients to help combat the issue and as it is something that affects you in an emotional and mental way and because of that it made me more and more invested in taking care of my skin.

As this has been a skin concern of mine for many years now, you can imagine that I have definitely learnt a lot about ingredients and products to keep my breakouts at bay which I will go into more detail below. 

Double cleanse every night before bed: Double cleansing seems like a bit of a trend at the moment and when it comes to skincare I don't tend to follow trends but I do believe that double cleansing has some merit to it, in the morning I only cleanse once but at night I like to do a double cleanse, I tend to wear some sort of makeup on a daily basis whether that be a full coverage foundation or a tinted moisturiser or some sort of bronzing drop but no matter what kind of product I use, it's always important that it's cleansed off my skin before I go to bed. When you double cleanse the first initial cleanse essentially gets rid of most of your makeup, SPF and of course any dirt and impurities that have built up from the day and once you follow up with your skin cleanser that cleanses your skin deeper and more effectively once everything else has been removed.

Product Recommendation: iS Clinical Warming Honey Cleanser

This cleanser immediately leaves the skin feeling soothed and balanced, it uses Papaya Enzymes to gently exfoliate which gives the skin a thorough clean whilst helping to dissolve away dead skin cells which can lead to clogged pores and breakouts. I like this cleanser for my breakout-prone skin as it does a good job of cleansing my skin but doesn't leave it feeling stripped.

Product Recommendation: iS Clinical Cleansing Complex

For my oily-combination skin, I like a gel-based cleanser as I find they do wonders at giving my skin a proper cleanse and aid in removing my makeup at the end of the day. Using this cleanser after the above-mentioned one ensures that my makeup and sunscreen have been removed from the day and its light exfoliating properties help to keep my breakouts at bay. It does foam but doesn't leave my skin feeling tight or dry afterwards, I like the texture of this cleanser as I can really massage it into my skin for a deep cleanse, I even like to leave it on my skin for a couple of minutes to make sure I am getting all of it's exfoliating and antioxidant properties.

Use a treatment serum: In my opinion, serums are the true workhorse of any skincare routine and with dealing with acne-prone skin, it's important to use one that is targeted to fight breakouts and also one to help with any pigmentation from previous spots.


Product recommendation: iS Clinical Active Serum

I have been using the Active Serum from iS Clinical for the last month or so and I have seen great results from it, I like a simple nighttime routine and this has simplified my routine greatly. I essentially double cleanse, apply this serum and then apply a moisturiser and it has done wonders at keeping my skin purified and balanced. It uses White Willow Bark Extract and Sugarcane Extract that gently exfoliates the skin and helps with anything from breakouts to fine lines to pore size.

When you have breakout-prone skin it's super important to exfoliate regularly, exfoliating helps to remove any dead skin that can potentially clog your pores and will also help your other products absorb better, as I have gotten older it's even more important for me to exfoliate regularly as my skin isn't renewing itself as often as it would when I was younger.

This serum has earned cult classic status and I can honestly see why.



Don't forget to hydrate your skin: When you have acne or breakout-prone skin it can sometimes seem counterintuitive to be using too many hydrating products but they can actually help breakout-prone skin by balancing hydration levels and keeping your skin nourished after using actives.

Product recommendation: iS Clinical Hydra-Cool Serum

I find it hard to find a hydrating serum that gives my skin enough hydration and still absorbs into my skin without leaving it feeling greasy and this one from iS Clinical works well for my skin and has been one of the best hydrating serums I have used. It immediately feels cooling on your skin which is great if you do have breakouts or any sort of redness and immediately leaves your skin feeling soothed and calmer.

It contains antioxidants, is suited for even breakout-prone skin and has helped to keep my skin in balance during these crazy weather changes.

*Editors note: When using active products it's always important to be wearing SPF on a daily basis.

Simon x


*The products mentioned in this post have been sent to me via the brand / pr, review is my own and image has been taken and edited by me.