Retinol
is an ingredient that gets talked about a lot, you would be hard pressed to find someone who is interested in beauty that doesn't talk about the powerhouse ingredient, whilst it has been around for a long time it has only made its way into my routine as a staple over the last couple of years. I dabbled with it in my mid twenties but now that I am heading towards my mid-thirties and starting to notice the signs of aging creeping in [fine lines, dark spots, adult acne etc] it is an ingredient that gets the prime role in my nighttime skincare routine.

As I have been using it consecutively for a while now I can honestly share my experience with how I have gotten on with it, While I use different products and yes the results obviously vary from brand to brand the ingredient itself has done a great job of helping with the overall texture of my skin and I believe it has helped with the fine lines that have started to pop up around my forehead area. I am someone who has breakout-prone skin and I do also believe it has helped keep my breakouts at bay and also helped to fade any pigmentation that has been left behind from past spots. Below I will be talking about my current favourite Retinol products.

Ella Baché Retinol Nourishing Treatment Oil: This oil combines an antioxidant blend with retinol to give the skin the benefits of retinol whilst protecting it from daily stresses and nourishing it with a blend of oils to protect the skin barrier, I like this product especially as it's an oil it feels gentle on my skin and has kept in nourished in the cooler months. Ella Baché Retinol Night Treatment Serum: A highly active retinol serum that with continued use helps to target fine lines and pigmentation, it makes my skin feel smoother and the overall texture and tone more even. It is a stronger product so I would recommend going in slow and working your way up. Trinny London Overnight Clarity Retinal / Niacinamide Serum: Combines retinol with niacinamide for added skin smoothing and calm properties, azeliac acid also helps with pigmentation and evening the skin tone. Dermalogica Dynamic Skin Retinol Serum: a 3.5% retinol serum that can be used nightly and combines squalane which aids in smoothing skin texture, I like this one inparticular as on my skin that is used to using actives it is gentle on my skin but still gives the results I want. Saint Louve 0.25% Encapsulated Retinol Serum: Retinol combines with niacinamide  which helps to strengthen the skins barrier and control oil production, ferulic acid provides antioxidant protection and helps with pigmentation makes for one powerhouse serum that helps with skin turnover, fine lines and pigmentation.

*Ediors note: When using retinol or any sort of active ingredient it's always important to wear an SPF on a daily basis to protect your skin.


Simon x


*The products mentioned in this post have been sent to me via the brand/pr, all reviews are my own and the images has been shot/styled/edited by me.