Hydration, Hydration, Hydration. If there's one thing you take away from reading this site it would be to always keep your skin hydrated, it doesn't matter if you have the oiliest skin or a slightly drier skin type, keeping your skin hydrated is one of the most important things you can do for your skin. When I was in my teens and dealing with breakouts the last thing I thought my skin needed was hydration, but as I have gotten older and there is so much more education behind products, I now understand the importance of always keeping my skin hydrated.

Whether it be a hydrating mask or a hydrating serum, it's easy to incorporate ingredients and products into your routine to keep your skin hydrated. When your skin is hydrated it's healthy and your skin barrier will be protecting your skin to its best ability, you will notice a glow to your skin and your products will perform better as they have a good base to go onto.

The way I personally incorporate hydration into my skincare routine is through using a face mist morning and night after cleansing, this adds a layer of hydration to my skin and also keeps my skin a tiny bit damp allowing for the products I use afterwards to absorb better, whether I am using a Vitamin C serum in the morning or an Exfoliating Serum at night, I always follow with a hydrating serum before my moisturiser. I tend to opt for one with humectants like Hyaluronic Acid that will help to draw in moisture from the face mist and my moisturiser.

As I am heading into my early thirties I have been starting to get fine lines around my eyes and forehead, luckily they are only due to dehydration which is why for me it is crucial to be constantly hydrating my skin and today I will be talking about my favourite products that are keeping my skin hydrated even through this very harsh winter we are currently going through.

A Hydrating Cleanser: Cleansing is one of the most important parts of any skincare routine but when you are looking at a hydrating skincare routine as a whole it's important to start off with a hydrating cleanser and more importantly one that won't strip your skin as this will immediately make your skin dry and it will be harder to keep it hydrated with other products.

*Product Recommendation: All & Sundry Cream Cleanser.

This is a really lovely cream-based cleanser that I have been using mainly in the mornings that does a wonderful job of cleansing my skin without leaving it feeling stripped afterwards, it contains a blend of oils to keep your skin nourished and is lightly exfoliating which will allow the products you use after absorb better and therefore work more efficiently. 

A Face Mist: As I mentioned above, I like using a face mist after cleansing morning and night as it adds hydration to my skin and allows for better product absorption. It's also a nice way to keep your skin looking fresh throughout the day and if you wear makeup, it can refresh your makeup and help any powders you may use settle into your skin.

Product recommendation: Ella Baché Daily Hydration Mist.

This mist uses a blend of Hyaluronic Acid and Marine-Based Extracts that deliver hydration deep into the skin and hold it there, it uses ingredients that help with skin tone and texture and is very soothing and calming to the skin. I find it adds a nice layer of hydration to my skin and immediately leaves my skin feeling plumped and soothed.

An Exfoliant: It might sound random to include an exfoliant in a feature about hydration but I am a huge believer in regular exfoliation as no matter which type you use, whether it be chemical or physical, exfoliating helps to slough away dead skin cells that can clog the skin and will actually help your products absorb better. This can come in handy when talking about dry skin as it will help your hydrating serums and moisturisers get deeper into the skin and hydrate it on a deeper level, if you have dry patches using a gentle physical exfoliant will also help to get rid of them.

Product Recommendation: Grown Alchemist Polishing Facial Exfoliant.

This exfoliant has been a staple in my routine for years now, it does have a grit to it but never feels irritating or scratchy on my skin, It uses Vitamin C for brightening and antioxidants, Vitamin E for nourishment and Rosehip Seed Oil to moisturise. With all of its skincare properties I like to leave it on my skin for a few minutes to make sure I am reaping all the benefits, I tend to apply it to dry skin but you can dampen your skin first your prefer and massage it in then waiting a bit before rinsing off.

A Hydrating Serum: A hydrating serum is one of the easiest ways to incorporate hydrating ingredients into your skincare routine, I tend to look for ones that contain humectants that help to draw and lock hydration into the skin.

*Product recommendation: Ms Morning Dew Hydration & Plumping Serum.

This serum is a beautifully light hydrating serum that absorbs into my skin immediately and leaves it feeling hydrated and plump, it uses a blend of Multi Molecular Hyaluronic Acid to provide the skin with deep hydration and will help to draw in moisture from the products you put over it. It uses ingredients to help strengthen the skin barrier and protect your skin from daily stresses. It easily fits into any routine and is so light but still hydrating to the point where it doesn't feel too heavy on the skin, it's as if you are putting water onto your skin and it's absorbing and staying there.

A Moisturiser: Sounds obvious but when talking about a hydrating skincare routine I always think it's important that you are sealing everything in with a moisturiser, whether you have dry skin or oily skin it's all about finding the right moisturiser type and texture.

*Product Recommendation: Aesop Perfect Facial Hydrating Cream.

Perfect is in the name of this moisturiser and it truly is perfect for my oily-combination skin type, it gives my skin enough hydration but almost leaves a matte finish behind without being too drying. It uses a blend of Vitamin C and E for antioxidant protection and nourishment, I especially like using it during the day as it sits well under makeup.



Simon x




*The products mentioned in this post that have been marked with an *asterisk have been sent to me via the brand or pr, otherwise, they have been personally purchased. As always all opinions are my own and all words and images are my own unless stated otherwise.