Today I have a very special guest on my interview series, Napoleon Perdis himself! Im so honoured to have Napoleon take time out of his busy schedule to answer some questions for me, Napoleon Perdis as a brand was the first luxury makeup brand that I fell in love with, I was always really inspired by the story of how Napoleon created the brand and the academy which I was lucky enough to attend back in 2008.

Here is my interview with Napoleon...


Do you have a first memory of beauty? 
I remember watching my mother apply her lipstick before she would go to dinner with my father. Up until this day I’m still fascinated with the beauty and tranquillity of a woman applying her makeup. Whether in front of her bathroom or bedroom mirror, in the car or at her desk. It’s a time that’s solely hers and I love that. 

What originally got you into makeup and beauty? 
 I love seeing people, especially women who are confident and proud of who they are. Makeup should be about enhancing your natural beauty, not masking it. It’s about being the best version of yourself. Makeup and hair are really the only two ways you can do this. A lot of the time we forget that makeup is art. It’s your own masterpiece that reflects your mood. You can tell so much from the vibe of a woman in how she’s applied her makeup. A classic bold lip screams confidence, while an understated look with a little bronzer, mascara and gloss says ‘Today I believe in my ability to look great while barely trying’. It’s about evoking a mood or moment and for me, that never gets old. 


Where do you get your inspiration for your products and or for your academy? 
I find inspiration everywhere from my family to art, architecture, music and the environment. At the moment I love talking to my daughters about what they think is cool and have even based our new collection Total Bae around their inspiration. I originally wanted to call the collection Total Babe and my eldest daughter Lianna said she thought the name “Total Bae” was much more cooler so I changed it. They’re so much more aware of what’s hot and what’s not than I am! 

How do you think social media has impacted your business and the beauty industry in general? 
Social media has changed everything. The YouTube and Instagram makeup tutorial industry has really boomed in the past few years and shows no signs of slowing down. To me Education is Everything so I really enjoy having the medium of social media to connect with my customers and staff. I love to share tips and tricks and take the opportunity for our followers to really get to know me and my family. I love to read our followers feedback too and really take their opinions into account. The rise of the selfie has put complexion perfection back in the spotlight. Skin care, priming and the perfect base is now more important than ever, but it’s brows that are taking centre stage. 

What is your daily beauty routine like? I have noticed in the past couple of years you have expanded your skincare line-up, are there plans for more products in the future? 
I always start the day with a double cleanse using my Balm Voyage Moisture Complex Cleanser and Makeup Remover to hydrate and really pamper my skin. This is followed by a quick rinse with Rebirth of Venus Skin Renewal Cleansing Oil to keep the skin’s texture smooth. To keep my skin looking youthful as possible, I tap Supreme Eye Cream around my entire eye contour and drench my skin in my Napoleon Complex Skin Renewal Serum using my fingertips. Auto Pilot Lip Service is a must (morning and night) to keep my lips hydrated. Next, I apply my all-time favourite product Auto Pilot Pre Foundation Skin Primer all over my face using my Complexion Perfection Brush 17s. It’s all about restoring hydration and nourishing the skin with skin-conditioning ingredients.

My skincare range has taken on a life of its own within the brand. I’m enjoying discovering the super ingredients of the future which are not only beneficial, but the long-term benefits are amazing. Perfect makeup begins with a proper skincare routine, so both go hand in hand and it’s important for me to offer both to my customer. 
  
What do you think are the current trends in makeup and skincare? 
As simple as it sounds the biggest trend I’m noticing is many people are now understanding the importance of skin-vesting. It’s about taking the time to really look after your skin with not only great quality products but taking the time to apply them correctly. There has been a huge trend in products that hydrate and I think this is due to the fact that so many of us spend so much of our time in front of a computer or phone with air coediting or heating which can play havoc on the skin and ultimately cause dehydration. I’m fascinated with technology from Korea and Japan and have incorporated this in many aspects into my next products. 

I know one of your daughters just created some products for the brand, can you tell me and my readers more about it? 
The collection is called Total Bae and was inspired by my four teenage daughters but created by my eldest daughter, Lianna. It’s at a lower price point to cater for teens, but is made with the same quality ingredients and technology as our core Napoleon Perdis range. Having said that, women of all ages are loving it as the products are that good! From Own it! Mascara which features a dual-sided wand that lengthens and volumizes depending which side of the wand you use, to Gloss it! Lip gloss which is formulated with the infusion of blue micro-pearls to counteract yellow making teeth appear whiter. Lianna was involved in the process from beginning to end and knows exactly what girls her age want from their makeup. Trends evolve from the younger generation so I had the perfect mentor in Lianna. 

What do you believe are the top five beauty items everyone should have in their makeup bags?
This is a tough one but I would probably say the top 5 non negotiables would be the following:

1. Auto Pilot Pre-Foundation Skin Primer is an absolute must-have for smooth and long lasting foundation.
2. Balm Voyage Moisture Complex Cleanser and Makeup Remover for luxe hydration and cleansing
3. Total Bae Own It! Mascara Jet has a unique wand and buildable formula for incredible looking lashes.
4. pH Lip shine is the ultimate 3 in one lip product that provides colour, shine and hydration and great for taming fly-aways too.
5. Pro Palette Concealer has three blendable shades to counteract and conceal dark circles, redness, spots and discolouration with ease.

Thank you so much to Napoleon for being on my site and to Shev from the Napoleon team for organising the interview.

To visit the Napoleon Perdis website Click Here.

Simon x

*Image provided by Napoleon Perdis.